Saturday, February 26, 2011

The Hard Stuff...

A dear friend of mine is going through a sudden and shocking divorce after 24 years of marriage. Over dinner, we discussed her new and lonely situation. She is sad, mad, and somewhat relieved all at the same time. My heart breaks for what she and her boys are going through and will continue to go through until her new normal sets in.

Talking with her brought me back to my own dark and scary time. The divorce was under much different circumstances...but the end of something somewhat stable was still heart-wrenching ....especially with two small children in tow. With all the ups and downs involved, my anxiety levels bordered insane for over two years.

Well, at times, I still spend a few minutes upset and resentful that I have to carry in the groceries, scrape the icy car windows, and, of course, do all the real work to raise my kids. I still worry that, because of my choices, my kid's lives are forever worse off. But as I talked with my dear friend tonight...I realized how far I have come, how much I have learned, and how strong I am now because of all the struggle. My kiddos are strong, resilient and insightful....and we love each other in OUR new normal.

Life goes on and gets better and better.

1 comments:

The Rookie said...

I cannot imagine the full extent of change that comes with divorce.

You and your kiddos have soared in the face of such hardship, truly. Look at your career, their intelligence and imagination. You all amaze me!