Friday, September 19, 2008

I think this can be true after today.

I had my first actual counseling session with a student today. It was nice to finally be doing some actual work with students. The poor kid is being picked on and is just SO sad. But he said he felt more optimistic about life after talking to me. That felt SO good to hear. :)

The last few months have been quite difficult because I am starting my internship and am learning SO much every day. I have been feeling down about how much I need to know and be able to implement on a daily basis. It is overwhelming to sit and watch the pros do it so effortlessly. I have been afraid to pale in comparison. Well...then I get in a room with a sad kid like today and it all comes together. That is why I do what I do. These kids sometimes just need someone to talk to. I LOVE IT! I have the opportunity to help kids and that is one of the best callings in the world...in my humble opinion!

I just may be able to do this being a grown-up thing.
But I still have some time to change my mind! ;)

4 comments:

pebes2 said...

Awesome!!! I'm still trying to decide what to be when I grow up!
Are you at a school?

The Rookie said...

That is a great feeling! I am proud of you!

Wendy said...

Yes...I am at a junior high school. I love it. I think I may try elementary next year though. We'll see. :)

Stine said...

This is wonderful. Isn't it great to be able to help someone?