Friday, March 6, 2009

The ONLY Problem With Facebook

I know from my schooling that personality is basically formed by the age of four and stays fairly constant throughout the lifetime. And some suggest temperament is present at birth. I can agree with this based wholly on my own experience with my own kiddos. BUT people DO change. And thus my issue....

Several "old friends" on Facebook have made comments on my posts, notes and status saying things like "that sounds like you" or "this is totally you!" I'm not bugged, it just got me thinking. These people don't really know me. They knew me when...they don't know me now. They know the person they knew. I know them as the person they once were. I know them only based off of my experiences with them. We don't really know each other. AND there is NO way for them to truly know me and who I am now based off of my facebook personality and profile. It makes me want to call these people up and actually have a conversation with them...but who's to say we would be able to truly be ourselves during that conversation either. I believe an element of false self would be involved here as well because LIFE, TIME and Situations have happened.

So basically...Facebook has created yet another false reality for us to live in. I say another based on things such as reality TV, e-mail ambiguity, online dating, and other falsifying mediums many of us seem to be addicted to. Well...I just have to be ok with the fact that many of these people really don't know me now and if they make comments about me, it is based off of the me they knew way back when. And vice-a-versa. Here's to the old me! :)

1 comments:

Alyson said...

Hey I was thinking about this a few months ago, but more specifically with my family. Why is it that even the people who should know you best, still get caught up in thinking of you as you were?!?!? I think they're finally to see a new me, but it has taken at least 10 years to get there...

I like this post. :) Good topic.