Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Old McDonald Had A Farm....
(with lots and lots of poop and mice! EEK)

I went with Bug on her field trip today to a living farm. It was very neat to see how people lived in 1917. They really had a lot of work to do just to live meagerly. It gave me great happiness that I am not living back then....and that I have the warm house, cozy slippers, and this here high-speed internet connected computer to tell you all about it. :)

This is scary blacksmith dude who kept screaming at the kids. Did he loose his hearing from banging that darn anvil all day? He made a cup hanger out of a nail (like...dude...I could totally do that!).

Then the out buildings, which include the smoke house, cellar (OH HELL...down a long dark staircase - I about fainted), the bird coop - more poop, and then the actual out house - smells, smells, everywhere the smells...bluh!

(Going down the dark, dank steps of the cellar....)

(In the cellar with "Patch" - he had his
name legally changed to that - long story!)

(Side Note: This is the duck that thinks he's a chicken...literally. Someone moved the egg and it hatched in the chicken poop...
I mean...coop...and has been a chicken ever since.)


A lady learned us how to wash clothes by hand.
The kids worked the crank on the wringer dillie-bopper.

We saw a working kitchen with a functioning wood stove and ice box. Did you know they used to put the preemie babies in the bread warmer part of the stove to act as an incubator? They also used an old pickle jar. They would put the small baby in the jar with its blanket and set it down by the warm part of the stove all day. VERY interesting. They also gave us yummy applesauce cookies.

We sat in the house parlor and talked about how life was back then and learned about the candle sticks on the piano. They are called "courting candles" because when the candle wax ran out the gentleman caller went home. Father would choose long or short candles depending on if he liked the fella comin a courtin his daughter.

And then....the barn.

OH MY HECK. I've never seen so much poop and so many mice in my life. Bluh. Maybe if you added up all the stinky diapers I have changed...then maybe. For those of you who don't know me....my gag reflex is at best poor. I was breathing through my mouth the entire time which still grosses me out because then I imagine myself eating the horrible smells. Again...Bluh! And you should also know of my great dislike of small crawly squeaky things...a.k.a. mices!

But it was cool to see and learn about the animals and see my daughter milk a cow! That was SO fun.

The kids had a blast.
Next time I will see if grandma wants to do field trip duty! ;)

2 comments:

The Rookie said...

Where is that? How fun! And I am so happy that I was not an 1800's farm girl because I-JUST-WOULD-NOT-HAVE-SURVIVED!

Chad and Oléa Gough Family said...

You are so good. I still haven't posted about that. It was so fun to hang out with you and enjoy the fieldtrip. I particularly enjoyed laughing at how uncomfortable those mice made you. :) You are so fun!! Will you email me all the pics you took? I will try to upload and send you mine today or tomorrow. Thanks!!