Finally...Some Explanations
(and probably WAY too much information for many of you!)

I feel like I should explain my recent blog M.I.A. status. I have been sick. It all started in November when I started feeling extremely exhausted 24/7. I could not sleep well. I just couldn't get comfortable at night. I was also feeling very depressed. I blamed it on stress and adjustment of a new job and lifestyle (which includes waking up at 5am so I can get my daughter up in time to soak in the tub before school each day). I should also explain that I had been on a high-protein low carb diet for two months and lost 30 lbs, which you think would help, not hurt.
Well...then I started having sharp side pains and a dull achy feeling around the kidney area of my back. I was also running a slight fever continually. I just basically felt like crap all the time. I finally went to Instacare. This is the TMI part....there was blood in my urine, I had a fever, but they could not really explain the pains or exhaustion. They treated me for a kidney infection to no avail. Over the next month and 1/2 they sent me for an ultrasound, which found nothing. A CT scan was next. It found an ovarian cyst and an umbilical hernia, but no kidney issues. So...they told me to come back in 4 weeks if the pains and symptoms persist. They didn't know how to explain it.
I finally decided to just go to a specialist because the blood in my urine concerned me the most. Yes....a 34 year old female seeing a urologist. I felt a little out of place. But pee was my problem...so the pee Dr. is who to see...right?
He was actually very informative. He examined the CT scan and did a urinalysis. My right kidney is slightly enlarged and my blood cells are shaped funny, which basically means my filters are not working correctly. He thinks I have a kidney disease called IgA Nephropathy. I don't fully understand it. He will monitor me over the next year or two to see if it resolves itself or gets worse. If it is worse, he will do a kidney biopsy next year to confirm the diagnosis...and possibly medicate. The scary part is all this could lead to kidney failure if I don't change some things. Hence...my new diet (which I haven't quite committed to yet). Bluh!! But that is a another post for another time. :)
Well I am feeling a bit better lately because I have lowered my protein intake and seen a chiropractor. I guess I will see how this next year plays out with diet, exercise and hopefully some good luck in the stress department. :)

I feel like I should explain my recent blog M.I.A. status. I have been sick. It all started in November when I started feeling extremely exhausted 24/7. I could not sleep well. I just couldn't get comfortable at night. I was also feeling very depressed. I blamed it on stress and adjustment of a new job and lifestyle (which includes waking up at 5am so I can get my daughter up in time to soak in the tub before school each day). I should also explain that I had been on a high-protein low carb diet for two months and lost 30 lbs, which you think would help, not hurt.
Well...then I started having sharp side pains and a dull achy feeling around the kidney area of my back. I was also running a slight fever continually. I just basically felt like crap all the time. I finally went to Instacare. This is the TMI part....there was blood in my urine, I had a fever, but they could not really explain the pains or exhaustion. They treated me for a kidney infection to no avail. Over the next month and 1/2 they sent me for an ultrasound, which found nothing. A CT scan was next. It found an ovarian cyst and an umbilical hernia, but no kidney issues. So...they told me to come back in 4 weeks if the pains and symptoms persist. They didn't know how to explain it.
I finally decided to just go to a specialist because the blood in my urine concerned me the most. Yes....a 34 year old female seeing a urologist. I felt a little out of place. But pee was my problem...so the pee Dr. is who to see...right?
He was actually very informative. He examined the CT scan and did a urinalysis. My right kidney is slightly enlarged and my blood cells are shaped funny, which basically means my filters are not working correctly. He thinks I have a kidney disease called IgA Nephropathy. I don't fully understand it. He will monitor me over the next year or two to see if it resolves itself or gets worse. If it is worse, he will do a kidney biopsy next year to confirm the diagnosis...and possibly medicate. The scary part is all this could lead to kidney failure if I don't change some things. Hence...my new diet (which I haven't quite committed to yet). Bluh!! But that is a another post for another time. :)
Well I am feeling a bit better lately because I have lowered my protein intake and seen a chiropractor. I guess I will see how this next year plays out with diet, exercise and hopefully some good luck in the stress department. :)







4 comments:
Oh that sucks Wendy! Glad you were able to see a specialist and at least get some answers. Good luck with the new diet! ;) I hope things continue to improve for you.
I'm just glad they finally figured out what is going on!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glu0dzK4dbU
I'm VERY glad they figured this out. I really think you can modulate a ton of the symptoms with diet and exercise. This is really great news. But it's also good that you have a doctor now who knows what's going on, is going to monitor it and is ready to do what's necessary should the need arise.
Cut the salt girl, I know it sucks, but salt and protein metabolites gunk up the kidneys.
Yikes. Glad you know what you are dealing with now. Lets hope it gets better rather than worse :)
Post a Comment